Sunday, December 22, 2013

Money (It's a crime)

Hello all!  I hope you understand my Pink Floyd reference in the title, but more importantly, I hope you all are having a fun holiday break! The time for me to begin my AFS application is creeping up on me, and I'm going over the cost breakdown, for like the 25th time.  I figured that if I am asking you readers to donate in the future, that I should probably give a you an explanation why.  Also, I will attempt to explain the application process as well.  Well here we go...

I will begin my application in February, as early as possible.  It will take me a couple of weeks at the latest to finish it, and send it off to the office in Italy.  When I start the application, a $75 fee is due, and when completed, the first tuition payment of $975 is due.  Then I begin the real crazy part of it

Before I can be accepted, I must go through an in-home interview with a local AFS volunteer.  This is mandatory so they can assess my capability of studying abroad first person.  I'm actually very excited about it!

After I have gone through all of that, I am left with $11,775 to pay off by November.  This is also the time that I begin to apply for scholarships, and financial aid.  There is one that I am almost relying on.  Because I live in Minnesota, a need-based scholarship is available that could potentially cover up to 50% of my tuition. I am not worried about qualifying, so I hope that this is my main form of payment.  In the best case scenario, this scholarship could bring my tuition down to $5887, which is definitely more do-able.  Another scholarship available to Italian students in one called Viaggio Italiano.  This is a merit-based scholarship that awards students $2000 off of there tuition.  Unfortunately, it is not available to semester students, like me, until fall of 2014.  So, if I were to also get this one, it would bring the total price down to $3887, but I would not know until almost the last minute!  The last form of aid that I am hoping for is straight up financial aid.  Based on tax documents, a family could receive $200-$2000 dollars off of the tuition, on top of any other need-based awards.  In the event of another miracle, this could bring my tuition down to the comfortable price of $1887!

But that is just the tuition....  I also have to worry about how I will support myself financially while in over there.  I will be there for five months, and AFS recommends around $100-$300 a month, so I need between $500-$1500 on top of the tuition.  I will shoot for around $1000, but am lenient on the exact number.

I also have to worry about visa/passport fees.  The passport fee is not that big of a worry, but the visa fee will be more of a worry.  I don't believe that there is a fee for applying for the visa, but may be some small miscellaneous fees along the way.

So as you can see, I have a lot to deal with in the next year!  It will be hectic, but hopefully do-able!  The numbers that I have included in this post are best case scenario numbers, so I will not know exactly how much money I need until I am done paying it basically. Which brings me to my next point.  If any of you are on the edge about donating, please do!  I am trying my hardest to make this happen, and it will not be possible without the generosity of others, like you.  I appreciate you reading my blog, and I will attach the link to my GoFundMe page at the bottom.  If you would like to wait to donate, I hope to have the donation button ready to go by spring!  Thanks again!  Happy holidays!

http://www.gofundme.com/sendmetoitaly

No comments:

Post a Comment